Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Discipline of writing.

Here it is day 21 and I'm 34k in to my month of writing. If there is one thing I want to say about Nano, its this. You want to hit 50k?  You need to have discipline. I also have a new found respect for writers that can produce more than one book a year. Writing is work. After the muse has left town, and inspiration is a dim memory, that's when discipline comes in. It sidles up to you paddle in hand and glares. Then it whispers: "What now? Are you going to dream your way to the end of the book? Maybe if you wish real hard it will write itself!"

Discipline is what it takes to put pen to paper or your fingers to the keys. not when you feel like it, because as I have discovered there will be times when you most certainly DO NOT FEEL LIKE IT. 

The important thing is that writing is not about feelings. Writing, whether it is a novel, screenplay, short story, blog or anything else you choose to do is not about your feelings. Its not about starting the project. Writers have great ideas about things we can start. Writing is about FINISHING. Its about writing until it surpasses good and becomes great. Its about getting the first, second, third, and how ever many you need drafts done. Then when you finish that its about editing and polish. Its about having relationships in the world with people who love to read, who may want to read your work. Its about going into this with both eyes open. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE. It's never easy but it is always worth it.

I have 16k left to get to in 9 days, even though the story I'm writing is considerably longer than 50k. I will arrive at 50k in few days. I'm smiling as I write this because that in itself is an accomplishment. It is only the beginning. Remember it takes discipline.

writers write
Orlando

No comments:

Post a Comment