Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Some lessons on writing

On my earlier post I stated that I had published my first book. I couldn't really write more due to the euphoria of finally  getting "out there" and being an author. So a week or so has passed and the excitement has died down a bit ( not much I still look myself up on amazon at least once a day lol) and now the reality has set. I am actually out there as a published author!  I didn't think I would achieve  this if I am being honest. It seemed too distant, a goal for someone else. So how did it happen?

I know I'm going to sound cliche but it takes persistence. You have to do it and stick to it and stick to it some more, until its done. Along the way I learned some very valuable lessons:
Fit writing into your life
Don't try and fit your life to writing. Life is messy, chaotic and full of twists, turns and upheavals. Much like a good story. Make your writing fit in the nook and crannies of life and you will get it done.

Writers write everyday
I'll be the first to admit that this was a challenge for me. I have gotten a lot better at it by enticing myself to just get started. No page limits or expectations, just start writing and see where it goes. Some days that means ten pages, and some days that means one page.

Writing should be fun
I don't subscribe to the school of agonized writers who slave over every word, concept or story idea. I'm more inclined to lean towards the "let the book write itself, Ill just listen very closely" school of thought. Writing should be fun, when it stops being fun it becomes work and when it becomes work it becomes easier to put it off.

Inspiration is everywhere if you are open to it
My second book came to  me while I was in the midst of writing the first. It was a flash and I had to write it down. In fact the idea nagged me until I wrote it down, fleshed out the first chapter and put down a working title. Then it left me alone to finish. I have since had several ideas for other books so I make a habit of carrying a notepad to jot down ideas as they surface.

Have a good support system
None of us live in a vacuum.  Find people who support your writing and support you being a writer. Make sure these people will give creative (not destructive) criticism to your early drafts and that they will be willing to be part of the process of your becoming an author.

Never ever give up
I had to scrap the first three ideas for my first novel because they just didn't work. It meant putting two and a half years of work to the side while I started from scratch. At that point it would have been easy to give up and forget this whole writing thing(I did consider it). I'm very glad I stuck it out. in the end there is only one of you and only you can tell your story the way you will tell it. No one else on the planet has your voice. Keep that in mind when you want to throw in the towel and call it quits.

I think we all have the ability to be creative some of us write others sing and others dance or express their creativity in some other form. The key is to tap into that creativity and give it free rein. For those of us that are writers let the words come and share your stories.

You can find my first novel as an eBook  on  Kindle here:http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008T8MMQ0

And as an ebook everywhere else here: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/OrlandoSanchez

For those of you that are like me and enjoy an actual print novel in your hands you can get the book here:
https://www.createspace.com/3962364?ref=1147694&utm_id=6026

Feel free to pick up a copy and please let me know what you thought.

Writers write!
Orlando


No comments:

Post a Comment