Monday, January 14, 2013

Inspiration

As I finish my second book, Blur and begin on my third, The Ascendants, I have been asked where do I get my inspiration? I look at my bookshelves and at my kindle and some of the authors there are very prolific,( I have an entire shelf occupied by Terry Pratchett for example) while others not so much. So it got me thinking, where do I get my inspiration?
 I have always been of the mind that as a story teller we don't create new stories, ( is there even such a thing? ) but  that we are the stenographers of space and creative essence. What is commonplace to most, to a storyteller ( insert writer , painter, screenwriter, dancer or any other creative expression) is layered with meaning. We take the commonplace and ask what if? Why do we do this? I couldn't really tell you. Its just the way we are hardwired.

So I get my inspiration from everywhere. From the mundane to the mystical its all ripe for the plucking. The fact that there are so many new books released every day only lends credence to this idea of mine, that we are all tapped into a creative space, but our individuality gives it a unique voice. I believe everyone has access to this, it's just that so few answer its call.

Where do you get your inspiration?

writers write
Orlando

No comments:

Post a Comment